How to change the username of my WordPress?
Sometimes, especially for security reasons, we will need to change our username, keep in mind that the username and password are like the keys to our house, if you have a username like “admin”, you have already given half the key to hackers.
Unfortunately, by default, it is not possible to change your WordPress username as easily as changing your password or your email, so we can do it in two ways:
By creating a new user and transferring all the content to it
The easiest way to change your WordPress username is to create a new user with the username of your choice and with the role of administrator user. The only catch is that you will have to use a different email address than the one your current account uses.
If you want to keep the same account, you would only have to:
- Update the current user’s email with a valid one.
- Validate it by clicking on the confirmation email
- and then create the new user with the email you had at the beginning.
After creating the new administrator user, you have to log out the current user and then log in with the new user account you just created (the one you want to keep).
Next, go to the Users list and click on delete the user you no longer want to keep.
When you delete the old username, WordPress will ask you what you want to do with the content created by that user and you need to make sure:
- You click the “Attribute all content to” option and then select the new user you just created.
- Click on the “Confirm deletion” button to delete the old user account.
Ready, you would have changed the username, this is the “cleanest” way but with more steps, now we will show you the easiest one.
Making the change using a plugin
This option is simple, and you don’t have to keep the plugin, you just have to:
- Search for it by its name “Easy Username Updater” or download it.
- Once installed, go to the “Username Updater” option in the “Users” section.
- Click on Update to the user you want to change
- Type the new username
- Click on Update Username
- Delete the plugin